Does the Lumbee tribe deserve to be Federally Recognized???


Welcome to my Blog page that is dedicated to educating others about the Lumbee tribe and its continuing struggle for Federal recognition.

Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Lumbee Language...

As I have mention in previous blogs the Lumbee tribe of North Carolina has no record or traces of a traditional language. For most people when hearing the Lumbee people speak, they speak with a different dialect. The words they speak are pronounced differently than what people are used to. Using words such as "over yonder" instead of "over there" or "dem" instead of "them," these are just an example of the difference in the words people use when carrying on a conversation amongst themselves. I have a different accent, most people just assume that I am country but coming from Robeson County I have one of the better dialects. For most people they assume that i am uneducated by the way that "talk" to others but being surrounded by this "language" for all of my life, it is a part of the norm for me to speak the way that I do. While I feel that the particular dialect sets my tribe a part from other races, I think that when presenting ourselves in front of others we should speak correct English, to sound "educated."

The Lumbee tribe has their own language, their dialect. It is something that is very interesting to hear, very unique. So if you ever have the opportunity, I suggest that you visit Robeson County to experience this particular dialect for yourself.

3 comments:

Fashionable Tree Hugger said...

It is very interesting that you mention that the Lumbee Indians have their own dialect that people find hard to understand. In my opinion, this dialect is similar to slang in the African American community. As a direct influence of the Lumbee Language do you believe it is similar to slang? Or is it more of a true language then a different version of one's language?

April said...

The language of the Lumbee tribe is as some would say "similar to slang in the African American community," but at the same time different. The "Lumbee language" is very different in the pronunciation of certain words. As I have mention in my blog, it is something that one has to hear for themselves.

A. Harke said...

There is a linguistics professor at NCSU who has published at least book on the Lumbee dialect. It is most lingusitically similar to the Outer Banks brogue, with both forms being a form Elizabethan English.


www.thetrademarkcompany.com
The Trademark Company