Does the Lumbee tribe deserve to be Federally Recognized???


Welcome to my Blog page that is dedicated to educating others about the Lumbee tribe and its continuing struggle for Federal recognition.

Sunday, November 4, 2007

My progess...

From first choosing my topic of federal recognition of the Lumbee tribe, being Lumbee I knew some stuff but not no where close to what I know now. Being Lumbee is something that sets me a part of other people. Yes, it is true that I do not live on a Reservation or speak a native language, and my tribe has no written documents to tell of our history. Does this not make me Native American? Does it not matter that when I hear the word "Lumbee" I automatically think of large loud families or a community that will support me with my decisions in life?

Living in the area that I live in Robeson County, I am not surrounded by as many Native Americans as i would be if i lived in Pembroke. Being referred to as the "white girl" because of the school I attended. Because of the way that I spoke was not as "country" as others I have been assumed as "being white." Now, as I look into the past of my people who am i suppose to act like, when we assimilated we lost so many of our traditions, how can I "act" Native American, when its not an act, It is my blood.

Researching the Lumbee tribe has allowed me to see both sides of the politics of the constant battle of federal recognition for the Lumbee. Allowed me to understand that the opposing sides feel that we have stolen "their history" such as the Cherokee or Tuscarora. Being a Lumbee, a part of this fight, there is nothing that we can do to change to past of our tribe...how can this generation change what we had no control over???

From re-reading previous blogs i have raised so many questions in my mind, where some have been answered in research while some can never really be answered. I have seen myself develop into a proud Lumbee member who knows the history of her people and hopefully the future with the tribe being federally recognized.

No comments: